Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Revisiting

Whew! Fear, trepidation and excitement prevail at the MiniMe homestead. You may now view my blog as other than a "test".

As Rufus mentioned in yesterday's post, he helped me turn over a new leaf. If he were not at doggie day care, he would remind me that I have not yet included the mechanics of how to buy my stuff.  That will follow as he needs room to roam. And money to buy dog food.  In the meantime, if there is something that peaks your interest, just let me know!

Some of my photographs are included in my blog.  In reviewing what I might post, I looked at my post-Katrina photos.  For those who don't know, I volunteered twice with Hands On (now All Hands) after the hurricane struck the Gulf Coast in August 2005. Each time I took a camera and rented a car. In December I left immediately from Chicago after visiting my daughter for Christmas.  She loaned me her point and shoot camera.  Only after I returned from Biloxi did I realize that I had been shooting 72 dpi, a bit of serendipity that allowed me to create a show that felt intimate, almost voyeuristic, with small images that drew the viewer close. My aim was to make this horrific, geographically far-away event as real and unforgettable as possible.

When I returned in late January, I took my Nikon SLR.  The constant was the still unfathomable images of destruction, poignancy and even joy that I was able to capture.

I chose not to post any of these photos for now.  In looking over the hundreds that I took, I became very moved and decided that I would like to return to Biloxi to see how it is faring.  How have we done as a country in rebuilding the area, particularly for those people who bore the brunt of the storm - the Thai shrimpers and the African-American community?

There is also a theme running through many of my photos that sort of clubbed me over the head this morning. Stay tuned for the Biloxi Brides.

No comments:

Post a Comment